Communal title: Write a musical phrase or song with a title written by one of your peers.
How to Respond
Write a musical phrase or song to one of the titles above, and post your work below using SoundCloud or video. Don’t worry if your song is short, this is just an exercise!
- Can you use your title repetitively throughout the song?
- What is the natural shape of your title? Which syllables are stressed? How does your title work out rhythmically against the pulse of your song?
- Read Mike Viola's latest blog "If At First You Don't Succeed, Throw It In The Boneyard"
Check out this video of Deidre working with Musical Exchange member Chloe on this activity.
- Listen to a fellow Musical Exchange student's song and try building on or reworking it to explore additional possibilities.
- Comment on another student's song. Does it make you notice anything new about the title? How is it different from your own interpretation?"
Click here for more Songwriting Exchange activities.