Have you ever taken a subject matter or a phrase from a TV show or movie and created a song out of it? Or know of any songs that have been inspired from a TV show or movie? Share your comments below! 

Many songwriters have been inspired by a story line in a movie or a special phrase from a TV show, and have written songs based on this type of idea.

Check out this clip from the 1963 film Papa's Delicate Condition. At 0:53, listen to the famous phrase "How Sweet It Is" from legendary comedian Jackie Gleason.

This short phrase led legendary songwriters Brian Holland, Lamont Dozier, and Eddie Holland to write the song "How Sweet It Is To Be Loved By You" recorded by Marvin Gaye and James Taylor.

Views: 133

Replies to This Discussion

I do this more with books than movies. I wrote one called "Fox and Hound" which was based on Cornelia Funke's Mirrorworld Trilogy, and is from the perspective of a shape-shifter (human/fox) who falls in love with a treasure hunter. Last night, I started one with the working title "Piebald," inspired by C.S. Lewis' science-fiction book Perelandra.

However, I got the idea for this song from the movie Decoy Bride.

https://soundcloud.com/dearoctobermusic/kendra-bragg-musical-exchan...

Hi Kendra!!

Okay, now I need to hear those other songs you mentioned! Clearly I need to add more books to my list!

I haven't seen Decoy Bride, what's the premise?

I could even hear this song as a latin-inspired groove, or a 60s bossa nova type thing. It has a very hypnotic quality..

I'm a big sci-fi fantasy nerd. haha. I've got the beginnings of a demo of one of those done, so hopefully I'll post it soon.

Decoy Bride is about a woman who gets roped into being a body double for a famous actress on her wedding day. I'm not a big chick flick girl, but I thought it was pretty cute (and it's set in Scotland, so that makes it even better!)

Once I finish the commission I'm working on, I'd like to get some time to record some cleaner versions of a few things, and maybe get in the studio for real this fall. :)

Oh my gosh yes!!! The TV show "Nashville" has inspired more than 4 songs for me. I have a deep connection to the music on the show and the storyline. 

Lone star- capo 2

G AM

Kitchen table, like every other night

DSUS2 AM C

Dreaming what it's like to dance in the stars

G AM

Drinking... Black coffee

DSUS2 AM C

Grab my keys and take off in my car

AM C

Oh what it's like

EM C

To be a lone star lone star

EM C

It's a hard hard life I’d say

G D

Lone star lone star

EM C

There's a price you have to pay

G D

To be a dreamer, a young girl, who

EM C

wants to roll the wheels round the USA

G D

But I'm driving round Texas (fort worth)

EM

Like a lone star

G AM

Corner bar, like every other night

DSUS2 AM C

Dreaming what it's like to play on a bigger stage

G AM

Drinking a glass of ice cold

DSUS2 AM C

My life is a book, I wanna turn the page

AM C

Oh what it's like

EM C

To be a lone star lone star

EM C

G D

Lone star lone star

EM C

G D

EM C

G D

EM

Like a lone star

G D

I'm looking in the mirror

AM C

Star quality is in my eyes

G D

But something bout me just ain't good enough

AM C

In music city that shouldn't be a surprise

EM C

You're lookin in the eyes of a  lone star lone star

EM C

G D

Lone star lone star

EM C

G D

EM C

G D

EM

Like a lone star

https://soundcloud.com/zandi-holup/zandi-lone-star

Hi Zandi!! I clicked on the link above but for some reason it's saying it can't find the track. Could you check out the link for me? I'd love to hear the song!

RSS

About

Carnegie Hall created this Ning Network.

About Musical Exchange

Connect with other young musicians (ages 13 and up), share your performances and compositions, and join creative projects led by professional artists from Carnegie Hall.

Proud Sponsor

Digital music workshops produced by Carnegie Hall in partnership with Building Beats are supported by the Hive Digital Media Learning Fund in the New York Community Trust.

© 2018   Created by Carnegie Hall.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service